**WARNING** Lots of photos following! I repeat, lots of photos following!!
So last Sunday my mother and I went to our annual rodeo -- let's all give a great big YEEHAW!! Remember from last year? My mama and I make a point of attending, since it's about the only rodeo around these parts. :( But we always have a TON of fun, and I usually take a couple tons of photos. ;)
This rodeo is done by the Flying U Rodeo Company, owned by Cotton Rosser. He's known for his family-friendly events, as well as his spectacular openings, but in the rodeo world, he's also known for his Born To Buck breeding program -- breeding the best of the roughstock to produce even better roughstock. Here are a couple of the mares and babies from the program that they let wander around the arena until the rodeo starts.
My oh my, those two little boys surely have grown up some! They're cuter than ever -- and they both ride fast horses. :)




They unfurled it and held it up while a local girl sang the national anthem and many people in the stands sang along. Did you know that it's very difficult to hit the right notes with tears in your eyes??!!



...when you're holding on for dear life!!




Ooops!!

Handstand...eh...hoofstand??


I love facial expressions on the various horses as they are bucking. Some have their mouths open with effort...some shut their mouths tight with the determination to get the cowboy off...some just look like they're having fun!!


After the bareback broncs, we moved to the steer wrestling. It's a lot harder than it looks! They start out after the calf...

Then the cowboy on the steer's left swings down off his horse, grabs the calf by his horns and nose, and twists him down to the ground. The goal is to do this in the shortest amount of time possible. Looks like fun, huh?! :)



Look at the air between the horse's rump and the cowboy's! I think that cowboy left that horse shortly after I took this photo.

I didn't notice until I was looking through the photos that this bronc had one back hoof out and one in.

The next event was team roping. Both cowboys come chasing after the steer...


So that the other guy, the heeler, can rope the steer's back legs.



...and tie three of its legs with a small piece of rope called a piggin string. The timer stops when the calf is tied, so the cowboys often throw up their hands after tying the knot to make it easier for the timekeepers.


Frankly, I think riding bulls is stupid enough...but not wearing a helmet while riding is completely brainless. I don't have anything against the bronc riding, but that grew out of a necessity in the old ranch days of riding unbroke horses. That's fine. But there has never been a necessity to ride bulls, for any reason. It's just a guy thing, I guess. ;)


But accidents do happen, and most cowboys that I've seen ended up falling off the bull at some point or another during the ride.



Once the bull was rounded up and taken care of, she was one happy dog, heading back to her place behind the chutes, knowing she had done her job! Is she cute or what?!


I close with the words of a Garth Brooks song (I don't like the rest of the song, but the chorus is great):
Rodeo
It’s bulls and blood
And dust and mud
And the roar of a Sunday crowd
It’s the white in his knuckles
The gold in the buckle
He’ll win the next go round
It’s boots and chaps
It’s cowboy hats
It’s spurs and latigo
It’s the ropes and the reins
The joy and the pain
And they call the thing rodeo

4 comments:
You got some great shots, girl!! I think the opening ceremony with the marines was an awesome thing to do.
I enjoyed your rodeo pictures. Looks like a lot of fun. The photos of the opening ceremony were wonderful and, yes, I cried just reading it and looking at the pictures. Our son is now in CA. He says it is beautiful. I hope we get to visit sometime soon. Thanks again for your support of our military - especially the Marines and thanks for standing up for what you believe in. Stay strong.
Oh I love what the did with the flag!! Such respect!!!
Loved all of the action pictures!! And you and your mama are looking great!! I'm glad you girls had a good time!!
That was a wonderful grand entry...that always brings tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment