Welcome to Cowgirl For Jesus!!

We're still under some construction at the moment, so if something looks odd to you, or if you cannot see all of my text or something goofy like that, please please please leave me a comment to let me know about it!! Thanks so much! :)

God bless!

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Beans and Cornbread

I don't know about y'all, but I'm sort of always on the lookout for blog-worthy incidents... And the other night we definitely had a blog-worthy incident. What was it, you ask? It was...beans and cornbread! Let's hear a big AMEN from everybody out there who loves beans and cornbread!!!

'Course, then again, y'all have never tasted my mama's Slowcooked Beans, so you have no idea how good they are...but if you want to try them, here is her recipe:

1 lb dried pinto beans
4 (15 oz) cans chicken broth*
3 T Spice Hunter Mexican Seasoning
3 T ground cumin
3 T garlic powder
1 large onion, quartered
On the night before the day you plan to serve them, clean beans, checking for little rocks and dirt clods. Cover with water, let sit overnight.
Early the next morning, throw out the water, place the beans in a large pan, add two cans of broth, all spices, and the onion, and cover pan. Heat to boiling, reduce heat and simmer for at least 7 hours, stirring occasionally, adding broth when liquid has cooked down and beans feel dry and clumpy when stirred. Make sure beans do not stick to bottom of pan or burn.
The longer cooked, the more the beans will cook down and be a thicker soup-like mix. The onion will also 'dissolve' the longer it cooks. If you like more broth, like a bean soup, add more chicken broth. I try not to add too much water as that dilutes the flavors.
* I use 3 cans low sodium, one can regular chicken broth; and all 4 fat-free or low-fat.

So that's the recipe for my mama's delicious Slowcooked Beans. And we like them with cornbread. The recipe for the cornbread? Very simple

Purchase box of Jiffy Cornbread Mix
Prepare according to package directions.
Bake as muffins.
See, I told you it was simple! I sure do enjoy beans and cornbread...


But my mom puts her cornbread in her beans!

Well, however they're eaten, they sure don't last long in our house! :)

So why don't y'all rustle up some beans and cornbread for yourselves? It sure is good! :D

you know you want to....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummmm! We had chile and cornbread for supper last night, makes me want to go home already and have some!

Anonymous said...

Hey Rebekah,
Nice to meet you! Guess we have mutual friends :) It was really a hard transition, and it still is, but I'm trying to see the bright side of things, and just trust that God knows what He's doing...
Thankfully there's internet and Skype! I can still keep in touch with my friends, and not lose any of the friendships :)
Are you a military kid too?

Anonymous said...

Yummy! This sounds wonderful!! Beans and cornbread sound great together!

Anonymous said...

Im just like your mom I love to put my corn bread in my beans!!! Yummy that actually sounds good right now and trust me nothing ever sounds good.