Welcome to Cowgirl For Jesus!!

We're still under some construction at the moment, so if something looks odd to you, or if you cannot see all of my text or something goofy like that, please please please leave me a comment to let me know about it!! Thanks so much! :)

God bless!

Saturday, October 4, 2008

Make Your Vapor Count

I have an announcement to make. I know none of you are expecting this, and it might be a little shocking to some, but it's something I have to say.

I am a dying woman.

I know -- not quite what you were expecting to hear when you came to read my latest post, is it?? But it's true. My days are numbered. But all my days are in God's hands, and I am content with that.

But are you ready for the next announcement? Here it is:

You're dying too.

Yeah, we're all dying.

The statistics are pretty impressive: 1 out of every 1 persons dies. Pretty low survival rate, I might add...like, 0. There is no surviving life.

But for the Christian, that's wonderful news! Because for us, life does not end at death, it begins.

Like I said, this might be a bit shocking to hear, and might even be offensive to someone. And, in case you were wondering, no, I do not have some life-threatening disease or something (that I know of -- God could change that at any time).

But what I said is true! We are all dying, every one of us. The clock is ticking, folks, and only God knows how much time is left for each one of us. Let me put it a different way:

Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away. James 4:14


Yeah. Kind of puts this life in perspective, doesn't it? Think about that some more: life is like a vapor.

You know, a vapor doesn't stick around very long. In fact, most vapors can't even be seen. Try it: breathe. Unless you're sitting in a very cold room, you can't see your breath. That's your life. Breathe again. That's your life. Breathe again. That's your life. Get the point?

Think about what impact your vapor has had. Has your vapor kept even one sinner from the fires of hell? Has it been an example to other vapors living their short vapor-lives for Christ? How has your vapor been effective?

Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever. For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away: But the word of the Lord endureth for ever... 1 Peter 1:23-25a

There's something else to think of. How about your grass flower?

What is the purpose of a flower? Maybe to cheer up someone's day. Maybe to make a field look prettier, or to bring a spot of color to your home or an invalid's bedside. But it too withers and dies pretty quickly, doesn't it? How has your grass flower been? Have you cheered someone up, or brought a spot of God's light to someone's life?

We're all dying...it's inevitable. But we were put here for a purpose. Don't you think it's time we figured out what that purpose is -- and work to fulfill it? I pray to God that my vapor, my grass flower, will not have been ineffective...that when I stand before Him someday, I will not have to hang my head in shame and admit that I did not use my vapor for His work...and I pray that you too will strive to make your vapor count.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for that post.
Luv,Danny

Anonymous said...

What a great post!

I admit I cracked up in the beginning (guess I have a morbid sense of humor!)
But is is so true!
People think they're invincible but everything can change in an instant. I see it first hand in car accidents, one minute your sipping coffee and talking on the cell phone and the next - well, the next you're gone.

How scary life must be if you don't have assurance in Christ!

You are absolutely right. Make every moment count and may our lives be a witness to those we come in contact with because no one knows their time.

God bless! Kate