Welcome to Cowgirl For Jesus!!

We're still under some construction at the moment, so if something looks odd to you, or if you cannot see all of my text or something goofy like that, please please please leave me a comment to let me know about it!! Thanks so much! :)

God bless!

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Sunday Stills -- HORSES!!

So today's Sunday Stills is HORSES. Which, as you know, is not a topic I like photographing. At all. Which explains why I had to go through my archives to decide which photos I liked best out of the hundreds...... you get the idea.

As I was going through said archives, I decided to handle this Sunday Stills in a little different way than usual. I'm about to do a very humbling thing, folks. I want to show you, from the archives, my progression of photography through skill, different cameras, and opportunities... What I'm trying to say is, the photos I'm about to post, in more or less chronological order, were each, at one time, the best photo I'd ever taken of a horse. Like I said, this is going to be rather humbling. And I know even the best to date is not much compaired to what a lot of other folks are going to be posting today. But I digress. (I always wanted to use that phrase!!) No judgment, folks. This is a trip back in time. Oh and by the way, I put my name on some of my favorites...you never know, they might be somebody else's favorites too, you know??

For a while, this was the best horse photo I'd taken. I believe this mare's name was Dusty. She was boarding and being trained at my aunt and uncle's house.

Different camera from the first photo. This was an ancient 35mm SLR that I later used for my photography class. I can't quite tell which mare this was. Possibly Lakota. Kryssy or Loi, can you help me out here?

Sultan -- while he was still a stallion! Now that was a while ago.


Again, Kryssy or Loi would have to tell you which gelding this was. I don't remember them well enough.

Thundering hooves! This was one of a couple mustangs being trained all in about the same time period, and I don't remember which one he was.

Ah yes. This was again one of several geldings whose names and distinctions I do not now recall. This photo did not turn out as well as I had originally thought, but it's still not bad, and the concept was good. I'll try it again at some later date.

Sultan being used to pony a mustang.

My uncle on Sultan.

Another mustang, whose name (forgive me) I have also forgotten.

What a head. Look at those pointy ears cocked so intently. He's got a straight nose, a square muzzle, an intelligent, alert eye, and a not overly-thick neck. He surely was a pretty horse. I do wish I could remember his name.

Whatever-his-name-was didn't much care for the saddle at first.

A sister of mine. I love the silhouette. Oh, and those pole-thingies? They marked the boundary of the property. I know they're kind of random, but I didn't think until later that I should've moved her away from the poles. Oh well.

Sister again. Kryssy's hair is flying back, her face to the sun, her pony in a canter...does life get better than this????

This was just last July, back in TX. I love the introspective quality of this shot, it's almost like the horse is looking back and reflecting on something. His face is in the dark, mysterious...you get my point. Enough being weird. Seriously though, I happen to really like how this one turned out.

I don't title all my photos, but this one is called "Buddies".

Well, there's the best of each time period in my photographic progression, and of each camera that I've used to photograph horses. I know several of these photos are certainly nothing to brag about, but all represent times, memories, and points in my life. What do you think?

10 comments:

Tracey said...

Isn't it fun to look back and see how we've progressed? Lovely ponies, and of course I'm partial to anything boasting that brand!

Tammy Vasa said...

The bay mustang shots are very nice.

Ed said...

Very cool shots, you have deffinatly improved your photography, are'nt didital cameras wonderful..:-))

Anonymous said...

Greatshots. Sultan is a real beauty, so regal looking. :)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

That last photo is so cute, but my fave pic is one you took with your old 35mm SLR. The softness and composition portray a wonderful feeling surrounding that horse. Nice job!

~Lisa

Krystle said...

Hey OMW wow I am soooooo wow you posted picies of like lolI was in one !!!!!!!!!!!
Love you girl......
And I miss you more than you could imagine!@!!!!

Holly said...

I am going to judge you and tell you that I like ALL of them, but I love the buddies one.

Good for you for posting them!

flowerweaver said...

The last three are truly lovely, and my favorite is the introspective one. That couldn't have been a more perfect shot. Thanks for showing us your progression, keep up the good work!

LeAnna said...

Great snaps! Those mustangs are gorgeous.

CTG Ponies said...

A great series of pics!