The ants. In the Treat Bag.
Yes, the very same short paper bag that has held a place of high honor in my eyes for many years. The one that could, almost magically, produce sweet things whenever Mom or Dad commanded. The one that has held many pieces of wonderful delicacies to delight my young taste buds. Over the years its volume dwindled, until all it contained were some old, gooey Jolly Ranchers, empty Pez containers, and maybe an old lemon drop or two. My, but those ants on the Jolly Ranchers sure were happy. I'm sure they died with smiles on their little ant faces.
We tracked their line up the cupboard and along the tops of the cupboards over the kitchen counter and stove. My mother had her secret weapons handy, especially Sponge, which came very much in handy for smushing and crushing the tiny bodies and wiping them away. It hurt some to throw away the old Treat Bag...I will always hold it in a position of high esteem in my memories...it will always be to me the Treat Bag, with capital letters...and someday I will bring it to life again for my own children, teaching them the value of delayed gratification, i.e., occasional treats, instead of demanded, taken-for-granted candy. And someday I will be the mother, bravely defending her home from the unwanted invaders, probably with the same weapons as my own mother.
And someday, ants will fear me...
Welcome to Cowgirl For Jesus!!
We're still under some construction at the moment, so if something looks odd to you, or if you cannot see all of my text or something goofy like that, please please please leave me a comment to let me know about it!! Thanks so much! :)
God bless!
We're still under some construction at the moment, so if something looks odd to you, or if you cannot see all of my text or something goofy like that, please please please leave me a comment to let me know about it!! Thanks so much! :)
God bless!
Monday, December 10, 2007
They Struck Again! or, Ode to the Treat Bag
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
You go girl! :) Super Mom and Daughter to the rescue!!! You are in great training for your future...how to defend your home domain!!! :)
I am really glad you are trying look for the "good" in every situation! You are actually going past good to comical...still way to go!!! :)
Very cute post! : )
You had asked me who had passed away this weekend--one was Mrs. Misner's mother. If Laurie hasn't called you, maybe you could call her. It's really hard for them right now to make calls (as you can imagine).
Also--Mr. Doug Robison passed away. His wife's name is Peggy.
I'm sorry to be the bearer of sad news. : (
Hugs!
Mrs. Ferguson
Cute again...;) LOL!! Those stinkin ants!!
I've enjoyed the ant saga!
Grins!
I am sure that you will be a great Mother. YOu are a blessing today. I have enjoyed each comment that you leave at one of my blogs. Have a good day. connie from Texas
Glad to see you all are getting control of the ants. We have roaches here on the coast. The hugh ones that come in from outside and occasionally fly. I think maybe I would rather go to war againist the ants.lol
LOL! How funny! :)
Post a Comment